Percy Priest Elementary School
Parent Involvement Policy 2021-2022
At Percy Priest Elementary School, we realize that parents play a critical role in their children’s success as well as the success of the school. We recognize the importance of working closely with parents to provide a quality educational experience for all students. This policy has been developed in collaboration with parents to outline the ways in which we provide parents with the information and training necessary to encourage and support their child’s progress at our school. If you have any concerns or suggestions regarding the Parent Involvement Policy, please contact Dr. Russell Young, Principal, via email at Russell.Young@mnps.org.
Communication with Parents:
- We will provide parents an explanation of the curriculum being used at Percy Priest Elementary School, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress and the proficiency levels that students are expected to meet.
- We will strive to communicate clearly and effectively with parents by a variety of communication strategies including, but not limited to, weekly newsletters and student folders, call-out announcement system, school website, progress reports, report cards, by mail, phone calls, E-blasts, and other emails.
- Parents will have access to Infinite Campus Parent Portal which allows parents to access their student’s grades, attendance and assignments. Through this system, parents can set alerts to receive notifications about grades and attendance.
Meeting with Parents:
We will offer parent meetings at various times and regular PTO meetings.
- We will offer Parent/Teacher conferences throughout the year so that parents can meet with their students’ teachers and work together to help the student achieve academic success.
- We will provide opportunities for regular meetings with parents to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their student.
- The Percy Priest Elementary School administration team maintains an “open door” policy with parents for phone calls, emails, and conferences.
- We will collaborate with parents on the School Improvement Plan. Parents are an integral part of our school community and crucial to improving our school. Parents may serve on the SIP committee.
- We will offer assistance to parents in understanding Tennessee’s academic content standards, student achievement standards, and local academic assessments. We will also help parents to monitor their student’s achievement.
- We will assist students in successfully transitioning from elementary school to middle school and onto a career or college path. We will help with these transitions by working with the middle school into which we feed.
- Percy Priest Elementary School will continue to collaborate with community groups and business partners to improve student achievement, college and career-readiness, and to foster parent involvement.
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring:
(A) parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child