2nd Grade News: 1/27
Ask your 2nd Grader:
- What are the parts of an informative paragraph? How do you add clearly explained details to improve your informative paragraph?
- What are the past tense forms of the verb “to be”?
- Is the following statement true or false? 400+40+6 <406 How can you make it true? How does expanded form help you decide if the expression is true or false?
- Are the following actions pushes or pulls? (actions: press, throw, tow, stomp, yank)
- In what culture is burping out loud after dinner considered good manners?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Wit and Wisdom Module 2: The American West
Essential Question: What was life like in the West for early Americans?
- Determine the lesson of a story and explain how it is supported by key details.
- Determine how key details help readers understand lessons from the text.
- Answer questions about key details and character responses.
- Generate questions and observations about a text.
- Comprehend and recount what happens in a story.
- Write an introduction as part of an informative paragraph.
- Use a digital publishing tool to complete a skills checklist.
- Identify and determine the meaning of adverbs ending in -ly.
- Identify and explain adverbs used in sentences.
- Identify and sort past- and present-tense verbs.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
- /aw/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘al’ (as in talk)
- spellings for /aw/
- practice reading ‘y’ as /ee/ sound (as in funny)
- change y to i and add -es
- grammar, comprehension, word identification and decoding skills, and oral reading fluency review and assessments
- Numbers to 1,000
- Compare and order numbers within 1,000
Forces and Interactions
- Cultures and Traditions
- How are the principles, goals, and traditions of the United States shared amongst the citizens that live here?
Dates to Remember:
- Navigator Day – Tuesday, January 31st (wear field trip t-shirt)
- Progress Reports – Tuesday, February 7th
- Valentine Party – Tuesday, February 14th (1:45-2:45)
- Field Trip to Travellers Rest – Friday, February 17th
- No School – Monday, February 20th
- Field Trip to TPAC – Friday, February 24th
- We have two field trips coming up in February. We will be going to Travellers Rest on February 17th and TPAC on February 24th.
- Please be on the lookout for information regarding chaperoning our field trips.
- Please return the field trip permission slip ASAP.
- Payment is needed for these two field trips ASAP. See the info below on how to pay:
Field Trip Payment:
1. Go to www.schoolcashonline.com and click “Register”.
2. Once registered, you will be able to add your students (If you have other children at PPE, go ahead and add them during this step for future payments.)
In order to add a student, the first question is: “Type in the School Board name”: select Metro Nashville Public Schools from the list.
3. Fill in the rest of the boxes with your children’s information.
4. Once your children have been added, you will see “Items” listed across the top. When you click, you should see your children’s names and what field trips are available for payment.
5. Choose your 2nd grade child and make the payment at your earliest convenience.
6. Please email email@example.com if you have any problems!
Students will exchange Valentines with their classmates at our class Valentine parties. Please help your child prepare a Valentine for each student in the class. Teachers will provide a class list or further instructions.
Students will also need a Valentine box to collect their Valentines. These should be made at home. Boxes can be decorated in a simple way or they can be as elaborate as you’d like. Please cut a hole or slot large enough for Valentines and/or treats to fit through. You can use a cereal box, a shoebox, or anything around that size. Students should be able to carry the box into school without help. We do ask that boxes be kept at home until the day of the party (February 14th).