2nd Grade News: 11/18
Ask your 2nd Grader:
– What do you know about number lines?
– What happened in The Buffalo Are Back?
– What is a synonym? What is a synonym for happy?
– What is an antonym? What is an antonym for happy?
– Which part of our ears vibrate to help us hear?
– How many branches are there in the U.S. government?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
*Please note, Monday and Tuesday of next week will be spent reviewing skills. The skills listed below are for the week after the Thanksgiving break (November 28th – December 2nd).
ELA (English Language Arts):
– Wit and Wisdom Module 2: The American West
Essential Question: What was life like in the West for early Americans?
– Use the words and illustrations in The Buffalo Are Back to determine a text’s essential meaning.
– Express understanding of how the American Indians and early Americans impacted the prairie in the early American West.
– Categorize topic-specific vocabulary to make real-life connections between words.
– Understand and apply correct structure to an informative paragraph with topic statement, evidence, and concluding statement and include text specific words and phrases that enhance meaning.
– Use a Wonder Wheel to ask and answer questions about Plains Indians.
– Recount the main topic and key details of Plains Indians.
– Analyze how points support a topic statement about nomadic and non-nomadic Plains Indians.
– Form and use frequently occurring irregular plural nouns.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
– ‘er’, ‘ir’, ‘ur’
– Review /i/ sound and its spelling (‘i’) and introduce new spelling ‘y’ (as in myth)
– Review spellings for /ie/ (‘i_e’, ‘i’, ‘ie’) and introduce new spelling ‘igh’
– Common and proper nouns
– Singular and plural nouns
– Addition and Subtraction on the Number Line
– Rules and Laws
Dates to Remember:
– Thanksgiving Break: November 23rd-25th
– Art Show: December 1st
– Navigator Day: December 7th
– Half Day of School: December 16th
– Winter Break: December 19th-January 6th