Ask your 2nd Grader:
- What is something you’d like to see in the new Percy Priest school building?
- What do you know about introductions in informative paragraphs? How is an introduction statement different from a topic sentence?
- Can you count by tens from 467 to 527?
- What is ten more than 190? Did you make a ten or a hundred when you added the ten?
- Who is your class studying and presenting about for Black History Month? What have you learned about that person? What contributions and/or sacrifices did that person make?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Wit and Wisdom Module 2: The American West
Essential Question: What was life like in the West for early Americans?
Orally recount major events in a story.
Comprehend and recount what happens in a story.
Determine the lesson of a story and support it with key details.
Craft an informative paragraph using a digital bookmaking tool.
Identify and sort regular and irregular past-tense verbs.
With support, form and use the past tense of frequently occurring irregular verbs.
Use the past tense of irregular verbs in complete sentences.
Revise writing to incorporate peer feedback on verb use.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
/u/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘o’ (as in son)
/u/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘o_e’ (as in come)
/u/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘ou’ (as in touch)
Geometry, Time and Money
Attributes of shapes
Forces and Interactions
What are producers and consumers?
Dates to Remember:
- Progress Reports – Tuesday, February 7th
- Valentine Party – Tuesday, February 14th (1:45-2:45)
- Field Trip to Travellers Rest – Friday, February 17th
- No School – Monday, February 20th
- Field Trip to TPAC – Friday, February 24th
- We have two field trips coming up in February. We will be going to Travellers Rest on February 17th and TPAC on February 24th.
- Please be on the lookout for information regarding chaperoning our field trips.
- Please return the field trip permission slip ASAP.
- Payment is needed for these two field trips ASAP. See the info below on how to pay:
Field Trip Payment:
1. Go to www.schoolcashonline.com and click “Register”.
2. Once registered, you will be able to add your students (If you have other children at PPE, go ahead and add them during this step for future payments.)
In order to add a student, the first question is: “Type in the School Board name”: select Metro Nashville Public Schools from the list.
3. Fill in the rest of the boxes with your children’s information.
4. Once your children have been added, you will see “Items” listed across the top. When you click, you should see your children’s names and what field trips are available for payment.
5. Choose your 2nd grade child and make the payment at your earliest convenience.
6. Please email email@example.com if you have any problems!
Students will exchange Valentines with their classmates at our class Valentine parties. Please help your child prepare a Valentine for each student in the class. Teachers will provide a class list or further instructions.
Students will also need a Valentine box to collect their Valentines. These should be made at home. Boxes can be decorated in a simple way or they can be as elaborate as you’d like. Please cut a hole or slot large enough for Valentines and/or treats to fit through. You can use a cereal box, a shoebox, or anything around that size. Students should be able to carry the box into school without help. We do ask that boxes be kept at home until the day of the party (February 14th).