Ask your 2nd Grader:
- Why does Martin Luther King Jr. say let freedom ring so many times in his I Have a Dream speech? Why do authors use repetition?
- What are the four main parts of speech you’ve learned? What do you know about each? (noun, verb, adjective, adverb)
- Can you explain the life cycle of a butterfly?
- What type of plant do painted lady caterpillars eat?
- What repeated addition number sentence could you write for 6 groups of 3?
- What is a rectangular array?
- What is the difference between a primary and secondary source? Can you give an example of each?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Wit and Wisdom Module 3: Civil Rights Heroes
Essential Question: How can people respond to injustice?
– Describe how repetition adds meaning to a song.
– Describe how repeated words add meaning to a text.
– Analyze point of view in a text.
– Distinguish shades of meaning among the related sets of verbs.
– Determine the essential meaning of a text by rereading and answering questions.
– Narrate an exploded moment.
– Compare the effects of sentence variety to understand its purpose and importance.
– Compare an important point from two texts.
– Use temporal words in narratives to signify a sequence of events.
– Expand sentences by adding adjectives and adverbs depending on the word that is being modified.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
– Adverbs and Adjectives
– Alphabetizing to the second letter
– Run-on sentences
– /ee/ sound spelled ‘i’’ (as in ski)
– /k/ sound spelled ‘ch’ (as in school)
– Equal Groups (Foundations of Multiplication and Division)
– Animal Life Cycles and Survival
– Imports and Exports
Dates to Remember:
- FAST testing – May 1st – 5th
- Field Day/Cinco de Mayo – May 5th
- Children’s Theater field trip – May 11th
- Spring Picnic – May 12th
- Spring Sing – May 19th
- Last Day of School (1/2 Day) – May 25th
Second grade will follow a slightly different schedule during TN Ready testing in order to accommodate the 3rd and 4th graders during their testing. Our lunch will be from 10:15-10:45 on April 18th, 19th, 20th, 24th, 25th, and 26th.