Ask your 2nd Grader:
– Why is it important to use topic-specific words when writing an informative paragraph?
– How did the actions of the American Indians, settlers, and President Theodore Roosevelt impact the prairie in the American West?
– Which of the following word pairs contain words with the same vowel sound? (chirp-church, nurse-clerk, fur-far)
– Why do we have rules and laws?
– What is a sound wave?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
– ELA (English Language Arts):
– Wit and Wisdom Module 2: The American West
Essential Question: What was life like in the West for early Americans?
– Identify main topics and details and explain how they are used to organize understanding of informative text.
– Analyze how points support a topic statement about nomadic and non-nomadic Plains Indians.
– Demonstrate how to choose points when writing informatively.
– Use context clues and text features to determine the meaning of the academic and content vocabulary word nomadic.
– Form and use frequently occurring irregular plural nouns.
– Tennessee Foundational Skills:
– /ie/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘y’ (as in try)
– /oe/ sound – introduce new spelling ‘ow’ (as in snow)
– Change y to i and add -es
– Singular and plural nouns (regular and irregular)
– Addition and Subtraction on the Number Line
– Voting Rights
Dates to Remember:
– Navigator Day: December 7th
– Half Day of School: December 16th
– Winter Break: December 19th-January 6th