Ask your 2nd Grader:
– What is an adjective? What are some examples of adjectives?
– What is a legend? What is a lesson from one of the legends you’ve read in class?
– What is a polygon?
– What do you call a shape with six sides?
– What are producers and consumers?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
ELA (English Language Arts):
– Wit and Wisdom Module 2: The American West
– Essential Question: What was life like in the West for early Americans?
– Identify story elements.
– Generate observations and questions.
– Examine the importance of understanding feedback.
– Respond to and apply peer feedback.
– Use collective nouns.
– Distinguish shades of meaning among the words related to sound.
– Determine the meaning of a new word when the prefix un- is added to a known word.
– Identify the structure of an informative paragraph that describes differences between texts.
– Identify similarities and differences between two versions of a text.
– Combine simple sentences into compound sentences using conjunctions.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
– Review of the /u/ sound
– Introduce schwa sound ‘a’ spelling (as in about), ‘e’ spelling (as in debate)
– Subjects and predicates
– Compound Subjects and Predicates
– Alphabetical order
– Parts of speech review
– Contractions review
– Geometry, Time and Money
– Attributes of 2-D and 3-D shapes
– Partitioning shapes
– Forces and Interactions
– Touring U.S. Industries
– What are the major U.S. industries?
Dates to Remember:
- Valentine Party – Tuesday, February 14th (1:45-2:45)
- Field Trip to Travellers Rest – Friday, February 17th
- No School – Monday, February 20th
- Field Trip to TPAC – Friday, February 24th
We have two field trips coming up this month. We will be going to Travellers Rest on February 17th and TPAC on February 24th.
Please return the field trip permission slip ASAP.
Payment is needed for these two field trips ASAP. See the info below on how to pay:
Field Trip Payment:
1. Go to www.schoolcashonline.com and click “Register”.
2. Once registered, you will be able to add your students (If you have other children at PPE, go ahead and add them during this step for future payments.)
In order to add a student, the first question is: “Type in the School Board name”: select Metro Nashville Public Schools from the list.
3. Fill in the rest of the boxes with your children’s information.
4. Once your children have been added, you will see “Items” listed across the top. When you click, you should see your children’s names and what field trips are available for payment.
5. Choose your 2nd grade child and make the payment at your earliest convenience.
6. Please email email@example.com if you have any problems!
Students will exchange Valentines with their classmates at our class Valentine parties. Please help your child prepare a Valentine for each student in the class. Teachers will provide a class list or further instructions.
Students will also need a Valentine box to collect their Valentines. These should be made at home. Boxes can be decorated in a simple way or they can be as elaborate as you’d like. Please cut a hole or slot large enough for Valentines and/or treats to fit through. You can use a cereal box, a shoebox, or anything around that size. Students should be able to carry the box into school without help. We do ask that boxes be kept at home until the day of the party (February 14th).