2nd Grade News 4/28
Ask your 2nd Grader:
- Who is Ruby Bridges? How did she respond to injustice?
- What is a run-on sentence? How can you correct a run-on sentence?
- Can you put the following words in order from least strong to strongest (angry, furious, irritated)?
- Why do caterpillars molt? What are some other animals that molt?
- What repeated addition sentence would you write for an array with 5 columns of 3?
- Is an array with 4 rows of 3 equal to an array with 4 columns of 3?
- Why are importing and exporting important for countries?
What 2nd Graders Are Learning Next Week:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Wit and Wisdom Module 3: Civil Rights Heroes
Essential Question: How can people respond to injustice?
– Ask and answer questions about a story.
– Determine the meaning of new words formed when the suffix -ful is added to a known base word.
– Recount a text including all the story elements.
– Distinguish shades of meaning among the related sets of adjectives.
– Understand the different points of view of two characters in a text.
– Plan the structure of an exploded moment, including thoughts, feelings, and actions.
– Rearrange sentences to increase sentence variety.
– Rearrange sentence parts to form new sentences.
Tennessee Foundational Skills:
– Alphabetizing to the second letter
– Building complete sentences
– Using question words to make descriptive sentences
– Run-on sentences
– Sort words based on their schwa spelling
– Equal Groups (Foundations of Multiplication and Division)
– Animal Life Cycles and Survival
– Catchy Jingles (Explain why and how producers advertise to sell a product or a service.)
Dates to Remember:
- FAST testing – May 1st – 5th
- Field Day/Cinco de Mayo – May 5th
- Children’s Theater field trip – May 11th
- Spring Picnic – May 12th
- Spring Sing – May 19th
- Last Day of School (1/2 Day) – May 25th
All library books are due on Friday, May 5th.
Field Day 2023 is scheduled for Friday, May 5th. Families, your help is needed to run events for our students. Please see the Sign-up Genius link below to volunteer for an event or to donate a case of water. Please sign up for both Friday, May 5th and the rain date of Tuesday, May 9th. If you are unable to help run an event, you are still invited to join us for the field day festivities. Field Day Sign-Up
In addition to Cinco de Mayo and Field Day activities, the café will be serving tacos and other Mexican food on Taco Tuesday, May 2. This will be for students who would like a school lunch. Students are encouraged to wear the colors of the Mexican flag, green, white and/or red to celebrate Taco Tuesday. If you would like to join your child on May 2, you will need to sign up using the booking link: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/PercyPriestElementaryPrincipal@K12MNPS.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/