Skills for November 14-18:
ELA: Outer Space
Central Text: Starry Messenger
Through a mixture of powerful prose, elegant illustrations, and quotations, students discover Galileo’s brilliance was we read Peter Sis’s Starry Messenger.
– Write an explanatory essay to demonstrate understanding of the relationship between a series of scientific ideas about space found in Starry Messenger.
– Use information from quotations and illustrations to determine an essential idea.
– Demonstrate knowledge of sequence words, cause-and-effect words, and context clues.
Math: Solving Two-Step Problems
– Connect two-step word problems, diagrams, and equations with a symbol for the unknown quantity.
– Analyze written statements and other representations and make connections among them both quantitatively and abstractly.
Science: Planetary Objects
Use data to categorize the planets in the solar system as inner or outer planets according to their physical properties.
Social Studies: The 50 States
– Identify and locate the fifty states of the United States.
– Identify the regions of the United States and be able to describe each region’s climate, industries, major bodies of water, and important landmarks.
Have a great weekend!
The 3rd Grade Team