Skills for October 3-6:
ELA: The Sea
Students learn more about scientific exploration of the sea by reading Giant Squid: Searching for a Sea Monster, which describes Dr. Roper’s scientific work to find the mysterious creature that has so long eluded detection.
Central Text: Giant Squid: Searching for a Sea Monster by Mary Cerullo Skills:
- Identify how an author uses linking words and phrases to connect ideas in an exemplar explanatory paragraph.
- Distinguish shades of meaning among related words that describe large to different degrees.
- Use key details to identify the main idea of a chapter in Giant Squid.
- Use linking words and phrases to connect ideas in an explanatory paragraph.
- Use context clues to determine the meaning of a word.
- Notice how an author chooses words and phrases for effect in Giant Squid.
- Skills: Area of complex shapes
Social Studies: Famous Natural Features of the World
3.04 Examine major political features on globes and maps.
3.13 Explain how geographic challenges are met with bridges, canals, dams, freshwater supply, irrigation systems, landfills, tunnels.
MNPS is initiating a program this year to help our communities become more involved with our schools while also helping give students more direct help with reading and math. Percy Priest has students between 1st -4th grade who will be participating in the Accelerating Scholars program. This will be three times a week during their Tiger Time. We are looking for help!
The time commitment will be Mondays, Tuesday, and Wednesdays each week for the short block of time seen on the sign up. A 90-minute online training is required, but materials and lesson plans will be provided.
PPE’S GOAL IS TO BEGIN MONDAY, OCTOBER 3RD. TUTORING WILL GO UNTIL WINTER BREAK.
If you have questions about the program or sign ups, please contact Grace Akbari at email@example.com
Have a great weekend!
The 3rd Grade Team