3rd Grade Newsletter 4/28
Skills for May 1-5
ELA: A New Home
Central Text: The Keeping Quilt
Students use the broad understanding of immigration they gain in this module as a backdrop for their reading of Patricia Polacco’s The Keeping Quilt, which traces one family’s story of acculturation.
– Gain an overview of the history of immigration to the United States.
– Understand some of the challenges immigrants face in their new country.
– Understand the diversity of traditions immigrants bring with them.
– Students use text evident to answer and ask questions about the story.
– Identify regular and irregular verbs in a text.
– Organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally.
– Analyze how an author uses dialogue to develop experiences and events in narrative writing.
Math: Putting it all together
– Multiplication and division facts review.
Social Studies: Economics
– Compare natural resources within the three grand divisions of Tennessee and trace the development of a product from natural resource to a finished product.
– Interpret a chart, graph, or resource map of major imports and exports in Tennessee.
– Describe how scarcity, supply, and demand affect the prices of products.
– Compare and contrast how goods and services are exchanged on local and regional levels.
Science: Human Impact of Ecosystems
– Explain how changes to an environment’s biodiversity influence human resources.
Have a great weekend!
The 3rd Grade Team